Four dead as typhoon smashes into Macau and Hong Kong

Four dead as typhoon smashes into Macau and Hong Kong

Hong Kong: Typhoon Hato left three dead in Macao games hub Wednesday because it caused chaos and destruction in the enclave after sweeping neighboring Hong Kong where a man also died.

Local media showed severe floods that left cars under water and people were swimming in the streets of Macau city, mega-casinos territory that runs on reserve generators.

Three men aged 30 to 65 were killed, the Macau government said, while two people were missing. One of the men died after being injured by a wall blowing, another fell from a terrace on the fourth floor and the last was a tourist hit a truck.

Apple Daily showed images of people swimming through muddy water on what are usually roads and swept by winds.
Venetian casino season extended to emergency power and without air conditioning and proper lighting, according to one source.

An employee of Sands, owner of the Venetians and Parisians, said that power was in the whole of Macau, but that it was beginning to return.

“Because many guests come in the summer, many of them have been stranded at major resorts and casinos,” the employee said.

“All transport – air, land, sea – has stopped, so that the customers who have left can not leave yet.”

Electricity was still in Greater Lisbon on Wednesday afternoon, as the casino and restaurants were out of action, a staff member told AFP.
Residents have made social networks complain about the disruption of the network and mobile phones across the city.

Brian Chan, 31, said authorities had not sufficiently warned of the impending storm and were not adequately prepared, describing the country as “totally lost” in the typhoon.
The water supply was also limited, according to the authorities, and 50 flights canceled by the international airport.

At night, parts of Macau remained powerless.

“Some do not have a water key. The city looks like an attack,” said Harald Bruning, editor of the Macau daily newspaper, AFP, and described him as the worst typhoon he had experienced in 30 years.

Hurricane winds and heavy rains have already hit Hong Kong, leaving an 83-year-old man dead after his crash at sea, police said and injured more than 80 people.

The typhoon closed the stock market and forced the cancellation of hundreds of flights in the worst storm that the city has seen in five years. Forecasters have raised the deadliest 10 warning of Hong Kong’s typhoon, while the storm struck, the third time only for 20 years.

The typhoon also passed about 60 kilometers (37 miles) and landed at noon (0400 GMT) in the southern Chinese city of Zhuhai city.

Thousands of people were evacuated Tuesday in parts of southern China in anticipation of the typhoon, the official Xinhua news agency said.

Hato sent hundreds of feet of waves crashing into Hong Kong’s shores with knee flooding in some areas.

Marine swarms have been dumped on beaches and coastal residential areas, including white palm oil balloons that have landed since a massive spill earlier this month.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *